Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brighton pier and surrounds - VIC
actually its the Yamashita Mackerel, it goes gold when its wet.

[url="http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product_info/language/en/products_id/7750/3-0-egi-o-q-natural-sbk-mackerel.html"]http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product...k-mackerel.html[/url]
No problem...

Can do. Right. Uh-huh.

Gotcha. Cat in the furnace.

Current Favourite Jigs: Gancraft Egijya #3 Dead Butterfly & Yo-Zuri Flashdancer #3.25 GP & GCB
ahh ok, im going to buy a few new jigs.

it looks very dark in your pic
Location of Beaumauris Peir

You have to park on the street opposite and walk down thorugh the gates of the Yatch Squadran.

Good luck...
Awesome! Thanks for that Kim,

Looking at Google maps, is it the "J" shaped pier just south of the Port Melbourne Yatch Club? If so, is it possible to park on Beach St and access the pier?
i wish i was there for the salmon! sounds great.
new squid jigs on the way, cant wait to get out there over the weekend, beaumaris and brighton here we come....

a mate of mine that lives at mordi said they were there this morning.
Just got back from a late night jig, got there at 2.

2 blokes leaving empty handed. 2 others fishing who ended up with one.

Got one on my third cast, 300grams or so. got another from the same spot a few casts later that went 720 grams.

Nabbed another 300ish gram one on twitching retrieve a little while later. then got another one on the next cast.

Bout 2:45 they went quiet as the wind picked up, sat around for another 30 mins and then left.

4 squid in an hour and 15.

this jig is killing them for me at the moment, accounted for my last 25+ squid

[Image: bc450.jpg]
No problem...

Can do. Right. Uh-huh.

Current Favourite Jigs: Gancraft Egijya #3 Dead Butterfly & Yo-Zuri Flashdancer #3.25 GP & GCB
great job.

casting to 10 o'clock?

we found all ours in the shallows.

what brand of jig is that? shimanno?

does thay yellow line on the bottom glow?

mase
That squid jig is a haramitsu bc colour i got one my

self very good colour.
when and where do u use it?

sun rise? day light or dark?

size?

sink rate?

mase
It's a 2.5 Harimitsu BC sink rate is probably 3 seconds per meter, day or night it works well and it doesn't glow at all. It's semi translucent.

I was casting in my usual spot off the end all came out of the 2 o'clock area but i only cast there because the wind was behind me.

The 4 guys who were working the shallows had bupkis to show for it.
No problem...

Can do. Right. Uh-huh.

i mite get some.

well i worked 10 and 2 but only one squid and that was around 8am.

i even went to the rocks where in inlet is.

where the ink is on the bottom of the pier is where we fished.

a few i left down on the wood base.

rocksy you use mainly 3.0 size?
I've switched to using a 2.5 as my main jig for the time being, they seem to be less aggressive and the size of a squid down there as dropped off too.

Still trying to work out the seasonal cycle of Beaumaris bay, there is always squid there, but the big ones are pretty much always on the move.

Also with the massive amounts of baitfish on the move with the salmon chasing them, the bigger resident squid could be travelling a lot more than usual.

Once we settle into winter, the big ones should come back or so i'm told.

In Japan the squid seasons are Spring and Autumn. So far we've had some good squid this autumn, they should have another boost through May which i'm told is the norm.

And september through november when the snapper start usually the big squid season, which is spring.

i was doing a bit of reading regarding water temps in japan for big squid, they seem to have an ideal range. Not sure how if it's the same for the southern calamari, but it does make sense on them being there one week and off the next.

Also when the big squid come back in spring, i'll be using size 3.5's, from reading the info when they are gearing up for mating they still need to feed but with there brains in mating mode, they will be looking for big prey to sustain them through it. even when they are mating, the males get super aggressive and will strike a jig because it gets to close. to the females, so bigger is the go.

All that being for the Japanese squid, ours grow just as big. they just catch alot more because its very deep water and smaller coastline.
No problem...

Can do. Right. Uh-huh.

Hello,

Mr plat has told me similar info about how angry they get and they dont just attack for food but attack for invaiding there space, also told just a simple slow retireve will get them attacking your jig, and yes you need a big jig to pose as a threat.

where are you getting your infor from, id love to have a read also.

Im planing on poping down there for a sunset fish either tuesdau or wednesday.

Mason
im hoping my 10lb egi braid and 10lb leader will take the bigges ones on.

it has done good with the 700gr to 800gr.

What line do you use, you got that 1ky unit not too long ago, also what do you use to land them?

im looking inot the gaffs...

mason
I'm a research addict Mason, i read anything and everything on squid.

I use 8lb braid and 8 lb leader, wouldn't go any lower because of snags, but 10lb is the max i would and do use. most of the lighter Egi rods run PE 0.5 - 1.0

the big ones will have very strong short bursts, but fishing 10lb braid should be more than enough if you not lifting them with it.

The gaffs are a great idea but i need a happy medium between 9 foot and a 5 meter special for low tide at flinders.

Those egi gaffs have a net attachment, that might be the go, i have a telescopic silicon rubber net but it's only 8'6".
No problem...

Can do. Right. Uh-huh.

so are you just re-searching through google or have you found a site that your not telling us about hahahah

i think a net is much better because the gaff you have to be acurate when gaffing the squid and using such a long pole will be hard, a net you can simply just scoop it up.

when are you going out next?
nah i'm just reading bits and bobs from all over trying to join the dots.

Translating the japanese stuff is hardwork, makes very little sense on the first read.

I wish there was a PHD thesis on southern calamari and their movements.

i'll probably head down tomorrow after work until late if its not windy, same on wednesday.
No problem...

Can do. Right. Uh-huh.

Half the battle is understanding it all.

i think i mite go to japan to get some squid gear and bring it back, jigsm rods, gaffs, scents all that stuff.

and maybe hook up with some locals and go for a fish....

i hope wind and rain stay away, i think i mite fish tomorow sunset till around 8 or 9.

Mason
going to Japan for Squid fishing is top of my list right now.

i just went down to have a look at the pier and the waves are coming right over the bottom sections and up the breakwalls VERY VERY dirty, hopefully the tides can clean it out a bit before tomorrow.
No problem...

Can do. Right. Uh-huh.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  brighton squid report octopus1 1 4,555 12-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Last Post: alastair
  Brighton pier Fishingcreature 3 5,334 18-11-2013, 04:26 AM
Last Post: Fishermanbao
  Warneet Pier, VIC and surrounds Andee 7 16,499 26-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Smashem